Scope: Design & Supervision Consultancy Services
Client: Muscat Municipality
Period of assignment: 2000
This Urban project consists of developing a cost effective solution for the alleviation of traffic congestion in the Al-Khuwair and Al-Ghubbrah Areas, where commercial and residential areas are lying on both sides of Al-Sultan Qaboos Highway, to perform a detailed traffic study and analysis to validate the proposed solution up to year 2020, and then to carryout the detailed design (roadway, drainage, signing & marking, street lighting and landscaping and irrigation) and to prepare the tender documents.
The proposed solution included:
- Two – one way bridge ramps connecting the Sultan Qaboos Highway with Al-Khuwair Area.
- A new 1.20 km dual carriage way on the Western side of Wadi Al-Khuwair.
- A new 1.00 km single carriage way with bridge over Sultan Qaboos connecting Al-Khuwair area with Al-Wazzarat Street.
- Dualizing the existing Dohat Al-Adab Street.
- A new interchange connecting the coastal highway and Al- Wazzarat Street in Al-Ghubbrah with the Sultan Qaboos highway.
Dualization of the existing Al-Wazzarat Street from the new interchange to the existing Shiraa Roundabout.